play-pause prev slide next slide

estate » about » history HISTORY Long before Italy's Unification, long before the Risorgimento, long before even the Renaissance made these hills one of the most important cultural destinations in the world, the Castello di Reschio guarded the Umbrian-Tuscan borderlands. But Reschio's lands have sheltered people since antiquity. Once, this ancient countryside belonged to the Etruscans, whose civilisation stretched across what is now modern-day Tuscany and western Umbria. By the 1st Century BC, the Etruscans had fallen to Rome, but they had left their mark at Reschio in the form of a beautiful little figurine discovered in 1994.

The first mention of a fortified borgo at Reschio is to be found in the early Middle Ages where records reveal a fortress named Resco in the ownership of the Marchese del Monte. During the 14th and 15th Century the Estate changed hands many times between various families until, in the 1450s, it had its walls razed by the Governor of Perugia after armed conflict struck the region.

By the late 15th Century Reschio was in its heyday as part of the Papal States and the estate lands with it. Under the stewardship of Angelus Cesi, the Bishop of Todi, who used the Castello as his summer residency, the estate thrived. It is Cesi's coat of arms that can still be found above the great gates of the Castello and which the Estate maintains today.

After the Bishop bequeathed the estate to his nephew in 1601, Reschio disappears from the records. For centuries it slumbered in the peaceful backwaters of history, amongst its tranquil, wooded hills. By the mid-twentieth century, rural life of Umbria began to fail. The tobacco farming which dominated the region's economy suffered and Reschio's lands soon became a semi-wilderness, it farmhouses derelict. It was in 1994 that Count Antonio Bolza bought the estate and set about restoring and regenerating the land and its buildings into the thriving estate it is today.

show-hide